Thursday, October 21, 2010

Entertainment Ideas for a Toddler

Not too much has been happening lately... Carson has been super busy with school and work. He is doing good in his classes and seems to be enjoying it a lot more this semester. I have been working, keeping house, and entertaining the little monkey. I am also 6 weeks out from my due date!! I am so excited that I am almost done and excited to have a newborn again, although a little nervous to have 2 kids, and go back to the sleepless nights:) The doctor says everything is on track so this could be a Thanksgiving baby! Kambree has been busy, busy, busy. She is constantly into different things and learning new words. I can't believe the little personality that is blossoming but it is so fun to discover and she is so funny!


Playing with the playdough we made today.


Kambree is now feeding herself and makes a big mess most of the time...this is a good meal.

These are Kambree's friends. Luckily we have a fun group in our ward with lots of kids Kambree's age.




So, keeping Kambree entertained is a constant battle. It is fun most of the time, but I need some new things to do with her, so I am asking for ideas. What do you do with your young children (18 months to 2 years) to keep them entertained on a budget and help them learn. These can be independent activities, or something that I can do with her. Some of the things we have done are reading books, coloring, and just today we made some playdough (which she sort of like). Leave me a comment with your ideas!
*Playdough recipe (in case you're interested)
1 cup flour
½ cup salt
2 tsp cream of tarter or 2 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp of oil or 1 tbsp of oil if you used baking soda
Food coloring

Mix all together in mixing bowl and cook over heat until it forms a thickened consistency in a ball.

9 comments:

Marcizzle said...

Just turn on channel 13 from noon to 5. It keeps me busy.... hahah jk
Turn on the primary songs and start teaching her the moves. She will love it and she'll even come home with new moves from nursery.

Jani said...

Yeah, I love updates. I love Kambrees personality. She is funny.You will do great with 2 kids. Its an adjustment again but I think it is easier than having your first

Kierstyn said...

I cannot believe you are 6 weeks out!

Karalee said...

Fun, fun! I'm excited for your new little one.
Keegan likes boxes. Sometimes I turn Elyse and Adam's hamper over on him, and we poke eachother through the holes. It sounds kind of mean, but he loves it, and it keeps him entertained for a good half hour, which doesn't happen a lot with him. She might have outgrown that particular activity, but I think kids like boxes for a while. I remember my dad making us a rocket ship out of boxes when I was five or so. I'll try and think of other fun things, though.

Kristen and Adam said...

i made flash cards for brooklyn. i just used 3 by 5 index cards and markers. i wrote the alphabet and i did Aa Bb Cc etc. and then on the back i wrote words that she knows and relates too that begin with that letter. then i did numbers so on the one side i did 1 and on the other side i wrote it out. then in purple marker i wrote out purple and in pink marker i wrote out pink. then i did shapes so on one side i drew a triangle and on the other side i wrote triangle out. then we play matching games like i lay the shapes and the colors out and i have her match the yellow star with the color yellow card. she loves it and it keeps her entertained for about an hour. good luck! i love the play dough idea. im going to have to try that! good luck with the new baby coming. 2 kids are so fun but it takes some adjusting!

Sara Waldron said...

Those group pictures make me laugh. I need to work on someone actually smiling for pictures! But I'm sure glad he has little friends to play with.
He is loving putting things into containers and taking them out all day long. Sometimes it's with his own toys, but every now and then I give him a box or tupperware or pot to carry around.
He is also loving fingerplays and action songs (5 Little Monkeys, Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider to name a few). I know some other fun ones- we should do them at the next playdate.

coriandjohn said...

Kambree has gotten so much bigger since the last time we saw her - when was the last time? July? Sheesh! Looking forward to seeing ya guys for a little bit at Thanksgiving!

M&M!! said...

Wow I didnt know you only had six weeks left! Thats so awesome. Do you know if you are having another girl or if its a boy? Where do you are Carson live now days?

Havelah said...

Wow! I didn't know that you were due so soon either! Ooh, I am SO excited for you...and for Kambree!! My little girls LOVE playing Mommy to their baby dolls and copying the things I do with our baby. So hopefully she has a little doll and that will be a fun "Toddler activity". That also helped mine not to feel too jealous of the new little one...if they were needing Mommy time and I just couldn't help them right then, I would say something like, "I think our babies need diaper changes first. Then I can hold you" and then we would "both change" our babies diapers. :)
I sure miss you, Camille! I think about you a ton! Hope that all goes well with your new little one!