Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dauphin Island

Before Carson started school we took a beach day to Dauphin Island.  It  is 30-40 minutes away from our house and it was a great escape from the stresses of moving and starting school.  We were only there for a few hours but it was a great recharge.

The next few pictures are of the bridge that takes you out to the island.  It doesn't look to steep from  this angle, but it is steeper than it appears.  The entire length of the bridge is 3 miles.
You can see the high part in the distance where the ships go under.  In fact, I think that is a barge under it.
Coming down the steep part and in the distance is the island.

When we first got to the beach there were people fishing next to us.  I was thinking they could be fishing for sharks and sure enough not five minutes later they reeled in this bad boy!  It is only 2-3 feet but they said the day before they caught a 6-foot shark!  I was way nervous to swim after that but they said it was a sand shark and they aren't aggressive.  Just to be safe, though, I stayed in shin-deep water.
Trying to keep Kate shaded is the hard part.
Rylee filled up this bucket and dumped it out all day long.  She barely got in the water and only if I held her hand.  She would fill it and dump, fill it and dump, over and over.
Kambree loved the water.  I thought the shark would make her nervous, but she was less nervous than I was.

Kambree buried.
After Kambree was buried, it was my turn.  It was very relaxing.
Rylee's face, dirty again:)


I have a feeling we will be making a few beach days while we are here:)

2 comments:

Sara Waldron said...

It's fun to see your updates! AL Looks like a neat place to live; its just too bad we're on opposite ends of the country! :)

Rachel Beenfield said...

Yay! I loved reading all of your new posts. This will hopefully be a good way to keep up with the Closes :) I need to blog so bad! I'm awful at it. Oh and P.S. I LOVE Kanbrees hair hahaha it's awesome.